Boozy cupcakes – yes please….
Ingredients (makes 18):
For the cupcakes:
- 225g self raising flour
- 350g caster sugar
- 260g butter or margarine
- 5 eggs
- zest of an orange
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 punnet of raspberries
- 1 punnet of strawberries (at least 18 – save 18 strawberries for decoration)
- 20g cornflour
- 200ml Pimms
- 275g butter/margarine
- 3 tbsp Pimms (….or 4…)
- 550g icing sugar (potentially more if using more booze…which I’m not against)
- Baby mint leaves
- Strawberries from the punnet
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a couple of cupcake trays. Side note: why is it that recipes always tell you to line the cupcake tray first? Surely this isn’t imperative? Ah well each to their own…anyway…….
- Cream 260g of the caster sugar and the butter for the cupcake mixture together until a light and fluffy consistency has been achieved. And it will be an achievement I can assure you.
- Sieve in the self-raising flour, cornflour and baking powder and stir. The light and fluffiness should now have transitioned into a sort of gritty type consistency, think the feeling of Skegness beach sand on your toes and you’re about there.
- Next whiz (why not) together the eggs and the orange zest. Add 10ml of Pimms because yolo. Then add to the cake mixture. Stir stir stir as much as your little arms can muster.
- Grab the raspberries and the strawberries (making sure you SAVE SOME for the topping – see my photos, I plonked a strawberry on every cake but obviously you can use half…whatever takes your fancy!). Now crush them. That’s right. I want to see berry tears. Fold the crushed fruit into the cake mixture. Voila.
- Pop in the cake cases and bake for around 20-25 minutes (but you know the drill – if the toothpick comes out clean then you’re okay).
- Now its time the get boozy. More boozy…. grab a saucepan, grab the rest of the Pimms (there should be 190ml left unless you haven’t been able to resist) and grab the remaining caster sugar. A lot of grabbing going on here. Whack it all in the saucepan on a medium-high heat until the sugar has dissolved then up the temperature and let it boil for around 5 minutes until its syrupy. Pour into a jug and let it cool.
- After the cakes have baked, place on a cooling rack and prick the tops of the cakes with a toothpick and brush them with the Pimms syrup.
- Whilst they are cooling/absorbing, make up the butter cream by blitzing the icing sugar, Pimms and butter together with an electric mixer. Add more or less icing sugar to get the perfect consistency – it should be pipable. Pop in the freezer for 20 minutes if it seems too warm.
- Decorate, pipe, drink, garnish, drink, and hey presto you’re drunk – I mean hey presto you’ve got yourself 18 Pimms cupcakes!!
**This recipe was adapted from Sainsbury’s Magazine recipe**